The pervasive theme of my summer so far has been fog and water. I am not complaining, however, as I prefer this very much to unrelenting heat, but wet weather can do a number on you and your gear. Whether you are canyoneering, paddling, or just recreating outside in not so suitable weather, there are plenty of waterproof gear options to keep your stuff dry. Below you will find five items that I have regularly taken with me on my adventures this summer.
1. Sea to Summit Carve 24L DryPack ($160): As mentioned in my hiking in Ireland article, skip the raincover and go straight for a waterproof backpack to keep all your gear dry. Made of TPU laminated 420D nylon with fully seam sealed construction, this rugged daypack is designed for not only water sports, but any adventure in wet, rainy, or even snowy terrain. The minimal design works well for climbing, canyoneering, mountain biking, bike commuting, hiking, and even travel.
2. Detours Coffee Bag ($24): Shaped like a bag full of your favorite coffee beans, this versatile dry bag made from food-grade, waterproof TPU fabric with roll-top buckle closure can be used for almost anything you want. During our trip to Jordan, I carried the dry bag to safely store my camera and phone through all our wadi adventures. Choose a blend that matches your favorite riding State- I am a Highway 1 gal of course.
3. Lowepro DryZone Backpack 40L ($229.99): Outdoor photographers will find these lightweight, technical, and durable bags essential for keeping all your gear dry and secure. This large capacity drypack fits a pro DSLR with attached lens, 1-2 extra lenses, flash, accessories, and all your personal items.
4. Sea to Summit Clear Stopper Dry Bags ($26.95-$59.95): These fully welded dry bags are made with 210D nylon fabric with TPU lamination on the outer face for durability, water shedding, and abrasion resistance. The clean profile dry bags are perfect for a little extra waterproofing inside of your pack during water sports. I plan to take a bunch of these dry bags with me up to Alaska next month.
5. TPU Guide Waterproof Case for Smartphones ($29.95): Gauging by the number of phones I have ruined in the past year alone, you can never be too careful. These secure closure TPU waterproof cases will fit a large variety of smartphones with a sizable rear camera panel so you can continue to take photos in wet conditions.