I have been extremely fortunate the past year, as 2013 was completely filled with the most amazing outdoor adventures. I can only hope that 2014 will be the same. Below you will find some of my favorite outdoor moments/adventures of the past year, in no particular order.
1. Rock Climbing Wadi Rum, Jordan: It’s not everyday you get to climb epic sandstone big walls while listening to the Call to Prayer emanate from the tiny village mosque below. A very magical experience I will never forget.
2. Sunrise Wadi Rum, Jordan: I keep a running list of my favorite sunsets and sunrises throughout my life. Up until my trip to Jordan, Mount Sinai sat at the top of the leaderboard for sunrises. After spending a night out in the desert with great friends and clambering up a nearby cliff to watch the sun come up, Wadi Rum is going to be hard to ever topple.
3. Cycling the Big Sur Coast: My favorite day on the California Coast Classic- riding up and down the stunning coastal hills of Big Sur.
4. Packrafting Gates of Arctic National Park: Dropped off in a bush plane where the only way out is to paddle 60 miles down river, all while never seeing another soul and surrounded by stunning scenery (not to mention wild animals). The best remote outdoor adventure ever.
5. Climbing Mount Sir Donald: There is a reason this climb is one of the 50 Classic Climbs of North America.
6. Cycling Haleakala, Maui: My birthday challenge last year was to ride from the beach in Paia, 10,000+ feet up to the summit of Haleakala on Maui. One broken spoke and 40 miles of constant climbing later, my challenge was complete.
7. Climbing Fang & Fist, the Ghost River Wilderness Area: A stunning and super fun three pitch WI5 climb in the Ghost. The approach to the climb is absolutely beautiful as well.
8. Heli-Skiing in Whistler: I may be a complete train wreck when it comes to powder skiing but nothing can beat heli-skiing up in Whistler.
9. Hiking Cliffs of Moher, Ireland: I fell in love with hiking in Ireland this summer. Wind, rain, fog, and endless bogs all seem to be part of the perfect outdoor experience.
10. Mountain Biking in Park City: There is so much soft dirt singletrack to explore around Park City. Such a nice change from the typical rocky fire roads we ride around San Francisco.
Happy New Year everyone and here’s to many more adventures in 2014!