Just because the days are shorter and snow blankets the trails doesn't mean you have to stop training. Our ten winter running essentials will keep you warm, dry, visible, and upright in even the coldest of temps. Any of these items will make a great gift for someone who runs outside year round.
1. Yaktrax Run Winter Traction Device ($39.95): Turn your normal trail runners into winter running machines. Run naturally on packed snow and ice with the combination of removable spikes and steel coils in these wrap around traction devices.
2. Skora Phase-X ($75): For those dark winter evenings, the Phase-X is the ultimate low light running shoe with 360-degree reflectivity. With a reflective breathable open-weave mesh upper, reflective laces and overlays, you're sure to be seen while enjoying winter runs in safety and style.
3. Columbia Trail Summit Running Glove ($40): With 180 grams of fleece and an Omni-Heat Thermal Reflective lining, these running gloves are sure to keep your digits warm. A touchscreen compatible thumb and index finger mean you can start and pause your Strava run without removing your gloves.
4. Salomon Snowcross CS ($200): For the hardcore trail runner, these lightweight technical winter running shoes with monster grip are purpose built to handle anything winter can throw at you. No extra traction devices required.
5. Smartwool PhD Run Wind Tights ($140): A blend of fine merino wool and synthetic fabrics wicks moisture and offers just the right amount of warmth and stretch, while windproof front panels keep you comfortable on chilly winter trails.
6. Icebreaker Chase Beanie ($22): Coming in a variety of fun colors, the 200g merino wool hat is the perfect weight for winter runs.
7. Hydrapak SoftFlask ($13-$21): Even though it's cold, you still need to hydrate. The Hydrapak SoftFlasks are easy to carry or throw in your pocket for sipping from during your run.
8. Light & Motion SoLite 250 EX ($180): This versatile light pumps out 50-250 lumens and can convert from a headlamp to flashlight for walking the dog after your run.
9. Zoot Ultra Run Megaheat Hoodie ($85): This lightweight hoodie offers an amazing amount of warmth, making it the perfect layer for winter running. Zippered hand warmer pockets with bonded MP3 port keep you striding to your tunes while enjoying the winter wonderland.
10. Balega Blister Resist Socks ($11-$13): Don't let blisters ruin your winter training. Mohair blend fabric draws away moisture while staying soft against your skin to prevent any friction build-up.