As another spring and summer travel season arrives, my bags remain perpetually packed. You may notice plenty of of dark colors in the ten essentials above- when traveling for extended periods of time (especially to Europe), I tend to mix and match along one color scheme. This seems to make packing so much easier, where you can later add pops of color in your scarf, watch, or other accessories. I also ensure the majority of my gear can serve double duty for more active pursuits such as hiking or biking.
The following ten essentials either currently do or will form the base of my packing list for spring and summer travel adventures.
1. Aventura Walker Fedora ($34): Everyone looks great in a fedora. Add some stylish, 100% paper straw sun protection for your face while you tour around town, lounge on the beach, sip drinks at the pool bar, or hike around the lake.
2. Moving Comfort Mix It Up Scarf ($40): I can not get enough of Moving Comfort scarves. This machine washable, lightweight infinity scarf is soft to the touch and the perfect addition to dress up any oufit.
3. Patagonia Women's Solimar Wedge ($110): The full grain leather upper features an adjustable hook-and-loop ankle closure for a non-blister inducing fit. The lightweight, cork-wrapped polyurethane cored midsole provides all day waking comfort.
4. Triple Aught Design Artemis Hoodie ($169): Made with 100% New Zealand Merino wool, the Artemis not only looks elegant, but packs a serious punch in the warmth department. Unless you are using it to help carry your dog off the trail, you want have to wash the wool sweater all summer.
5. Mountain Khakis Wildflower Dress ($79.95): You can't go wrong with a flower print dress, whether it is trolling the markets by day or sipping fancy drinks by night. Hand pockets add a casual and fun flair, while the quick drying, rayon plain weave fabric resists any attempt at wrinkling.
6. Modify Watches ($45): Mix and match various removable watch faces with silicone straps of all styles to coordinate with any outfit or mood. These scratch and water resistant watches take a beating, making them the perfect travel accessory.
7. Timbuk2 Wingman ($149): I aim for carry-on only travel and the Wingman is always at my side. Updated for Spring 2014, the more urban styling and added organizational pockets make this bag ready for anything. The large main compartment fits a ton of stuff and the tuck-away backpack straps make for easy lugging through airports and public transport.
8. Icebreaker Allure Short Sleeve Scoop ($88): Icebreaker T-shirts and wraps are a staple in my travel wardrobe. The new Allure scoop-neck tee in ultralight merino wool is a modern, versatile travel top with a looser, over-sized fit.
9. Horny Toad Sea Change Pant ($82): These quick drying pants not only offer up UPF 45 sun protection, but never lose their shape, even after wearing them for days. Stylish enough to sport around the city, the Tencel Sun and Stretch Polyester fabric is ready for the trail. You can go from full length to capri using the roll up button tabs on each pant leg.
10. Overland Equipment Belvedere ($75): Along with my Wingman, the Overland Equipment shoulder bag comes with me for day to day use. Big enough to hold an umbrella, extra layer, snacks, water, wallet, and other essentials, yet not so big you have to check it when going to museums, the Belvedere makes a fantastic travel companion.