For as long as anyone can remember, beer and bikes have gone hand in hand. What is it that makes the two so compatible? It could be that they both simply represent the best days of summer or maybe it's because a cold beer never tastes better than after a long, hot day on the trail or road. Whatever the relationship, you can't argue that bike culture has definitely influenced beer culture and vice versa, creating an overlapping community that brings out the best and unique subtleties of both.
It is no wonder then that many of the hundreds of craft breweries popping up across the nation, particularly in bike friendly towns, have named some of their most tasty brews after some aspect of the sport. Below is a selection of bike themed beers, and as I know you are all very passionate about your beer, I would love to hear from you on ones that I undoubtedly have missed.
- FreeWheel Pale Ale, Cycle Brewing Company
- Fixed Gear American Red Ale, Lakefront Brewery
- Chainbreaker IPA, Deschutes Brewery
- Maillot Jaune Golden Ale, Great Newsome Brewery
- Shift, Fat Tire, Twisted Spoke, New Belgium Brewing
- Pike Tandem, Pike Brewing Company
- More Cowbell, Russian River Brewing Company
- RPM, Boneyard Beer
- Tire Bite Golden Ale, Flying Dog Brewery
- Face Plant, Lost Rhino Brewing Company
- Red Racer IPA, Central City Brewing
- Full Suspension Pale Ale, Squatters
- Derailleur Ale, Moab Brewery
- Stumpjumper IPA, Grand Lake Brewing Company
- Singletrack Copper Ale, Boulder Beer
- Rusty Chain, Flying Bison Brewing Company
- Cottonwood Endo IPA, Carolina Beer Company
- Crank Yanker IPA, Eddyline Brewery
- Big Wheel Deluxe, Amsterdam Brewing Company
- Pedal Pale Ale, East End Brewing Company
- Incredible Pedal IPA, Denver Brewing Company
To help you participate in two of your favorite past times, numerous tour companies have begun to crop up across the globe that provide specialized bike and beer related tours. Ranging from day trips visiting the local craft breweries to multi-days tours throughout a beer loving region, there is something for everyone. Here are just a handful of programs from this rapidly growing category of adventure tourism.
- Bend Ale Trail: You can take a self guide tour by bike of all the famous Bend breweries or grab 15 of your closest friends and rent out the Cycle Pub for the evening.
- Beer & Bike Tours: From their base in Fort Collins, CO, the tour company leads a variety of rides that provide rewarding cycling and stunning scenery with quality beer options that will make any beer lover happy.
- Beer Cycling: American Evan Cohan, lover of European beers, created a company that offers numerous vacation options for visiting the best breweries and beer cafes in Belgium or the Netherlands, all by bike.
- Vermont Bike and Brewery Tour by Sojourn Bicycling and Active Vacations.
- Bike Sherpa: This tour company offers a variety of beer and bike related trips including the Bavarian Beer and Bike Tour or the 100 Best Beer Gardens in Germany.
Now time for a ride, then beer.