Most dry bags use some form of roll top closure system to ensure they remain leakproof when submerged underwater. While waterproof zippers do already exist, making a waterproof zipper that can withstand being submerged for a period of time is not easy. Nite Ize claims they have created the first-ever toothless, waterproof zipper.
TRU Zip is a waterproof, dustproof, self contained zipper that Nite Ize has been working to perfect that past four years. The toothless design of the zipper is silent, glides smoothly, and reliably seals messes in or out.
The new TRU Zip zipper will be featured in the brand’s RunOff collection of waterproof dry bags. The bags are coated with thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) with RF welded seams and can compress and flex as needed. The translucent front allows you to easily locate items inside.
Field staff, including founder Rick Case, have tested the compression bags in freshwater and saltwater, in the tropics and the arctic, in one meter of water for 30 minutes—and have even used the bags to carry out their own trash during trips.
“My favorite part of the entire solution is when you close it, you can actually feel the closure so you have this confidence that it’s air tight,” Case said. “You can tell when you squeeze it.”
The RunOff waterproof dry bags come in six sizes meant for a variety of uses:
- (RunOff Waterproof Wallet): Everyday carry, cards, cash, small accessories ($25)
- (RunOff Waterproof Pocket): Mobile phone, documents, cords ($30)
- (RunOff Waterproof 3-1-1 Pouch): Carry-on liquids, meets TSA standards ($35)
- (RunOff Waterproof Toiletry Bag): Toiletries, other accessories ($40)
- (RunOff Waterproof Medium Packing Cube): Undergarments, gym clothes ($45)
- (RunOff Waterproof Large Packing Cube): Shoes/boots, two days of clothing ($55)
The Nite Ize RunOff waterproof dry bags with TRU Zip will start shipping soon.