We trolled through piles of our most read posts from 2012 to find the gear you were most interested in learning more about. The following ten products came out on top of the heap. Apart from the climbing helmet that is not yet available, I would love to hear experiences from any of you who might have purchased this gear in the past year.
1. NeoShell: Polartec’s new waterproof, windproof, and highly breathable fabric found its way into numerous jackets and pants this year.
2. Sazzi Sandals: Sandals with toes from the founder of Teva, Mark Thatcher.
3. Mammut Realization Shorts: Climbing shorts with a built in harness. Even the women want some.
>4. Black Diamond Vapor Helmet: A lightweight, breathable climbing helmet made from a combination of Kevlar and EPS foam, available Spring 2013.
5. Polar RCX3 GPS Watch: Training watch for the recreational cyclist and runner.
6. Pure Fix Kilo: A glow in the dark fixie with flip-flop rear hub.
7. Ortovox Mountain Skyver Trail Bike: Hike up your favorite trail, pull out this downhill mountain scooter with no pedals or seat, and enjoy a fast, fun ride back down the mountain.
8. Mountain Hardwear Ueli Steck Project: Ueli Steck teamed up with Mountain Hardwear designers to create the ultimate speed-mountaineering kit: a system of apparel and equipment that’s not just lighter (12.5 lbs total) than anything available today, but designed with a simplicity and efficiency of function tailored to Steck’s style.
9. Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm: The high R-value, thickness, and layers of reflective barriers bring greater comfort and warmth to winter backcountry outings.