When you are traveling for extended periods of time on trips that span everything from city sightseeing tours to mountain biking, hiking, and climbing, the name of the game is multi-purpose. The last thing you want weighing you down is a huge suitcase or the need to do load after load of laundry on the road. The following ten apparel pieces have seen me through months of domestic and overseas adventure travel, and will definitely remain in my duffel for the rest of the summer.
1. Redington Langford Flannel Shirt ($69.95): If you are traveling anywhere out West this summer, you need a flannel shirt. So why not get one that keeps you cool and wicks away sweat while you climb, hike, or even mountain bike, but looks great for your post trail trip to the brewery. The CastCut gusset design of the Langford gives you more freedom of movement than your average flannel.
2. Aventura Julian Cardigan ($55): This 100% cotton knit stripe jersey cardigan can be thrown on over a sundress, climbing tank, or even T-shirt to not only offer a bit of warmth on cool evenings, but add a touch of dressed up style to any outfit.
3. Icebreaker Vista Shorts ($124.99): These versatile merino wool and cotton blend shorts can be worn playing tourist around the city, hiking those mountain trails, or even rolled up and paired with some killer heels for a night on the town.
4. Icebreaker Tech Short Sleeve V ($69.99): These sexy, sleek, and lightweight merino wool t-shirts in a variety of colors are probably the most versatile apparel you can bring on any trip. Enough said.
5. RAB MeCo Tees ($64.95): One for the guys, the fabric in these nice looking t-shirts is made from a blend of merino wool and recycled polyester with Cocona technology that uses activated carbon to add even more antimicrobial might. These shirts are lightweight and quick drying, and can be worn for just about anything.
6. Salomon Mountain Polo ($50): Moisture wicking and offering UPF 40+ sun protection, this polo shirt will be just as welcome on the trail as it will touring around the city this summer. The feminine styling and an open polo collar make it appropriate for any situation, day or night.
7. Salomon Mountain Pant ($80): Part of Salomon’s Mountain Life collection, the stretch woven fabric and articulated knees make the mountain pant an ideal travel piece, ready for light hikes in the mountains or all-day city tours.
8. Columbia Global Adventure 3Q Shirt ($60): This super comfortable travel shirt can take you from a 22 hour plane journey, to dinner, around town, and finally to the trail, showing little wrinkling in the process. With built-in sun protection and Omni-Wick EVAP technology, this travel shirt will keep you cool and protected when outside. The sleeves can be adjusted from 3/4 length to short sleeve depending on your preference or the situation.
9. Columbia Global Adventure Adjustable Pants ($65): Super lightweight, these pants can be dressed up for a night on the town, but are cool outside in the heat and durable enough to survive a camel ride, hiking, and rock climbing. The versatil travel pants can be adjusted to be worn either as full length or capri. Throw them in your hotel room tub for a quick rinse out and they will be dry by morning, ready to take on another day.
10. Mountain Khakis Anytime Knit Sleeveless Dress ($64.95): A super comfortable little black dress that looks just as good out seeing the sights as it does dressed up for a nice evening out.