Running makes for an incredibly simple gear list and running in winter is no different–all you need are warm clothes and some shoes in order to head out the door. Here are some of our favorite pieces for running in colder weather.
1. Skida Hat ($36): Fleece hats in a variety of fun prints all handmade in Vermont. Need we say more?
2. Falke Long Sleeve Shirt ($115): Popular in Europe, the Falke brand is slowly making its way to the US. This quick-dry running shirt not only manages moisture to help regulate your body temperature, but also uses body mapped compression to give you a little extra support and cut down on the constant upper body muscle vibration. This shirt also doubles as a great athletic baselayer for backcountry skiing.
3. Mountain Hardwear Butter Tight ($65): Made from a super stretch jersey fabric, these tights are incredibly soft and comfortable. A large waistband protects from the dreaded muffin top look when running, with a small inside pocket to hold your keys. The ruching detail on each leg hem adds a nice feminine touch. Bonus–the tights look super cute under a skirt for hiking, wearing around town, or even yoga.
4. Icebreaker Socks ($14-$21): Regardless if your feet get wet, keep them warm and happy with some merino socks. The Icebreaker socks are reinforced with nylon and lycra for a supportive fit and quick dry times. We personally like the crew length for winter running to keep the ankles warm.
5. Ibex Point 62 Gloves ($85): The wool stretch cuffs keep your wrists warm, while the DWR treated shell is weather resistant and breathable so your hands stay comfortable even when you’re running hard.
6. Pearl Izumi E:Motion N2 ($120): Our current favorite running shoes are the Project E:Motion N2 from Pearl Izumi. The N2 come in both a trail version and a road version, but both deliver an extremely smooth, rolling run experience with a dynamic 4mm-7.5mm offset. Weighing 9-10 ounces, these neutral running shoes are lightweight and fast without compromising on cushioning or underfoot protection. Best of all, the wavy laces never come untied as you run and the seamless upper means no blisters.